Tuesday, January 15, 2008

God Save The Queenstown!

Well, not much to tell about queenstown here, stayed here for a bit too long for my taste (5 nights in total!)... but there are a few things worth mentioning:

I’ve been to the worst (followed by the best) hostel I’ve been to here. The first (“Deco”) – was crowded like hell with no place to move. Almost no space between beds (there wasn’t enough room for two people to get out of opposite beds in the same time, and in the bed next to mine someone said he had flees!). as soon as I got out of this dump – I moved to a place called “Southern Laughter” – a 3 bed shared room with a private kitchen, tv and toilets. That was much much better!

I went to the KIWI birdlife park: a dumpster which someone decided to make into a birdlife park, and to glorify his family in the process. As you walk through the birds and bushes, hearing commentary through a headset, suddenly in some spots instead of telling you what you are watching – it tells you about the family history and how much hard work they have done in this place…
oh, i saw a KIWI BIRD! it was hard, because it's a night bird, so they let you see it in complete darkness - so you can't see anything. it looked even dumber then i expected: take an avocado, stick a carrot as a nose and you have got a shaved kiwi. stitch some hair (not feathers, HAIR!), and you got yourself a hairy avocado and carrot - which under the darkness of the viewing room, might resemble, from some angles, something that will remind you of a kiwi bird.

Some more things? It sits by a lake and has a great view from it, too many Israelis (which with two of them I traveled later to Routeburn) and too many ways to waste money (some are good, but most of them are just a waste…). I ate at Fergburger (which is much like Agadir in many ways) and at Winnie’s Pizza (which is like nothing I know of – who thought that a whole steak could just be served on a pizza?) both were great food, especially in ROI terms…

p.s.
Tried to ski-dive again, but got cancelled for the 3rd time. I think I’ll pase for the time being… maybe I’ll change my mind later...

-- Pictures --
birdlife park (no pictures of kiwis. no photographing in the kiwi room):






City View: